Thornton Heights (redevelopmet of former St. Michael's Estate)

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Peter Mc22/08/2014President Michael D. Higgins is coming to Inchicore in two weeks for the official opening of Thornton Heights.

Many thanks Ian, for posting the article in today's Irish Times:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/st-michael-s-estate-in-inchicore-regenerated-after-16-year-wait-1.1904068

I thought's I'd create a new "thread" with the name Thornton Heights so people can find it easier.

What are people's views on the accuracy of the Irish Times article and on Thornton Heights ?

There is so much undeveloped lands still there that it's crazy not to build something more there urgently giving the acute shortage of housing in Dublin City.
Bobby26/08/2014It's a disaster for Inchicore, the last thing we need is more social housing. Look at Emmett Cresent and Tyrone Place both social housing and full scum. Thornton Heights will just bring more undesirables to Inchicore, sure they might as well put the tower blocks back up!
Resident26/08/2014I agree bobby, Thornton heights will be full of so called single mothers and there boyfriends! It's not good for Inchicore, these people will only bring drugs and crime here! None of them will ever work, sure the state and crime will fund there lifestyle!
Rye26/08/2014Sure I love the way the OP and his irish times anti irish liberals say there is plenty of spare land around here. Sure there is plenty of spare land in D4, D6 and D6W for social housing but no chance that'll happen. They love social housing but not in my backyard. No chance of any of the new Irish living in D4, d6 or d6w!
Peter Mc26/08/2014I agree entirely with the last 3 posts. Rye, I didn't mean "social housing". There is already an over concentration of social housing in inchicore.
mick26/08/2014I have to say I don't like the fact that Emmet Cres gets such bad press.I have friends WHO WORK and they are certainly not SCUM. A lot of the people who live there are retired. There are people working in An Post, DCC, the local P.O.. There is a poet there. There are a few bad apples everywhere. There are single mothers and drug addicts and drunks in Bulfin, C.I.E and up in the Oblates. Get the facts straight.
kathleen currivan26/08/2014You can only judge people on their behaviour,not on their occupations or perceived social status.
WMT26/08/2014We can't tar everybody with the same brush. Leaving aside the generalisation of 'scum' - yes there's many anti-social people in the area, but who put them there, then just walked away and are doing nothing except talk - the authorities, DCC etc.

DCC are like kids with a new toy, OK until the novelty wears off. Next time you are in the immediate area look at the massive difference in the condition between the three blocks of Tyrone Place.
Breda26/08/2014I know a lot in Emmet Cres and spoke to someone there who told there are 50 units there, at least 19 units have someone working, 20 are aged between 60- 80 so that just leaves 11 units with people not out earning!!!!!!!!!
Tim27/08/2014I'm surprised to see that so many people in Emmet Crescent are working and that is great.

I hope this does not sound provocative but would not these people who are earning a living in Emmet Crescent not want to move out of there. Surely they can't enjoy living in somewhere like that which there is so many problems. Maybe I'm looking at it from my perspective but surely you'd want to improve your lot in life..
mary27/08/2014What problems are there in Emmet Crescent . None. If you lived there you would realise that the only problem is at the gate and they are not from the Crescent and the problem will be dealt with. The majority of people living in the Crescent are very, very happy, come and live here for a week and you will see. There is definitely no more issues than anywhere else.
Bridget27/08/2014Well said Mary. What problems do we have, none. It is just other people running us down. Very happy living here!
The only reason we get a bad press is that people pass up and down to the Luas and see a few brats hanging around. People don't visit C.I.E so we don't know what it is like. I was up in Ring St and Railway Ave and there were undesireables hanging around there. Start talking about other areas. We are just in the public domain.
ray27/08/2014I think you should just call this "Social Housing Bashing". Remember people in social housing pay a percentage of their income. My sister is paying 160 a week, she should own her house by now but is not into borrowing. It is only people who are getting social welfare who benefit in social housing and private rented. How about positive comments for a change.
mick27/08/2014God help the people that bought their houses in Emmet Crescent if they ever wanted to sell. Some were only purchased in the last few years. People like living there, my friends are there and are very happy. Not everyone (even people working) can buy houses. We should just accept everyone for who they are. I know someone who did lots of good work, still does but once when she was asked where she lived people changed their opinion about her. She was the same person but happened to live in Michael's estate. I will miss the forum while I am away but at least it will be almost winter when I return.
Rye03/09/2014The mistakes of the past have not been learned. Putting social housing people all together in one area such as Thornton Heights won't work. Yes, they' got nicer houses and flats now but it'll end up St Michaels estate part 2 in years to come. Plenty of areas of Dublin have no social housing so why not spread it more evenly across Dublin.
Rye03/09/2014I took a walk down Emmet Cresent last week, a group of skeleton junkies were sitting just after the school on the left and they were buying drugs from a house across from there. I got a few dodgy stares so left ASAP.
Peter Mc03/09/2014Rye, I hope that you reported this to the Gardai in Kilmainham 01-666 9700. You can do this anonymously of you wish. When crime is reported to the Gardai, the Gardai can seek more resources and manpower to defeat the crime.
sean03/09/2014The gardai will not get extra manpower. I sit with the gardai every few weeks and they will tell you that. If there is drug dealing you can rest assured that the gardai know all about it.
Peter Mc03/09/2014Sean, I assume that you are on the policing forum. Your attitude is a little hard to evaluate. Are you saying that there's no point reporting the crime to the Gardai?

In my view what is needed is zero tolerance of crime, particularly drug dealing.

I disagree with you. I have been informed by very senior Gardai that more manpower and resources will be provided to Kilmainham if more complaints of crime are made by members of the public. Always get a Pulse ID from the Gardai when reporting the crime. That way you are sure the crime is recorded and should form part of the Gardai's crime statistics for Inchicore.

Anybody concerned with crime should also write to your Local Councillors and your area TDs.

In my view the biggest obstacle to resolving the crime in the area is that people are saying: "ahh sure there's no point doing anything about it 'cause nothing will get done".

Any ideas Sean on what to do ?
Rye04/09/2014Peter Mc, I applaud you, Inchicore needs more good people like you.
paddy04/09/2014I like Sean meet with gardai, dcc etc on a regular basis. I know very senior gardai and I got the same answer as Sean. I know Sean, and we are still plugging away trying to resolve the issues. We are going this around 20 yrs and we won't give up the fight buy it is very hard when little is done about it. We are not just doing because of the current problems. We had meetings back in the 80s about the drugs and at the time we were told the gardai can move them on but they just go to another area. That came from the GARDAI themselves. This was long before the policing forum.
paddy04/09/2014Just to mention we have lost a good Super and now Inspector Declan Downey is retiring so all the gardai we know are leaving.
Ciara19/11/2014The cheek of some peoples comments on this Emmett cres has many a great people living there as does Tyrone place dcc are letting Tyrone place fall into disrepair just as they did with michaels there is gangs and drugs in every part of this country not just in michaels est area there is simply not enough resources to deal with it and thornton heights is a great place best thing is it's not run by dcc but by circle who have a great reputation for the upkeep of their units and don't tolerate any antisocial behavior
Ciara19/11/2014The cheek of some peoples comments on this Emmett cres has many a great people living there as does Tyrone place dcc are letting Tyrone place fall into disrepair just as they did with michaels there is gangs and drugs in every part of this country not just in michaels est area there is simply not enough resources to deal with it and thornton heights is a great place best thing is it's not run by dcc but by circle who have a great reputation for the upkeep of their units and don't tolerate any antisocial behavior