Anti Social Youths

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Sarah D13/03/20144 youths aged around 13-16 going round tonight, at 8:00pm, trying to sell 'The Echo' newspaper, despite the fact it's a free newspaper. They looked like they were checking out what houses to see which ones they could possibly break into. The guards have been rung. If you see them report them to the guards.
Mgt13/03/2014The Echo newspaper is not a free paper, I buy it every week from a shop.
Local13/03/2014I confirm that The Echo is not a free newspaper. These kids might not have been up what you think Sarah D, but you might want to also contact The Echo and ask how teenagers of that apparent age were selling the newspaper door to door. When and where in the locality did this occur?
P14/03/2014Sarah D, I got a leaflet in my lettetbox today in the Cie Estate which says: "Would you like 'The Echo' delivered to your door on Thursdays? Contact Nathan 085 2394273"

This doesn't seem like a conspiracy to commit burglary. .

You might want to reconsider your complaint to the Gardai and offer Nathan an apology and a few quid compensation

nd"
raymond14/03/2014Yes, this was genuine. I also got a letter in the door. Some people jump to the wrong conclusion.
Sarah 15/03/2014I can confirm that the version of the echo they were trying to sell is the 'free' version, that you are able to get in places like Tesco. It is Not the version you buy. I am not jumping to conclusions.
Sarah 15/03/2014I can confirm that the version of the echo they were trying to sell is the 'free' version, that you are able to get in places like Tesco. It is Not the version you buy. I am not jumping to conclusions.
raymond15/03/2014There is no "free" Echo newspaper. I worked with this paper and it costs 1.80 now. You cannot have 2 papers with the same name, free papers in Tesco is normally Southside People.
Sarah15/03/2014Where I work the echo is free and on the front page it states it's free, I'm not lying. To add to the earlier point I made, a neighbour of mine went out walking with his dog about 10 minutes after they knocked on his door, and he saw the same 4 youths on North Terrace trying to break into a van. He watched them for a minute or two and then walked towards them but they ran away. But don't worry, I was just trying to be a responsible citizen and worn of suspicious behaviour going on at night, but Raymond you have completely put me off ever posting now.
Sarah15/03/2014Where I work the echo is free and on the front page it states it's free, I'm not lying. To add to the earlier point I made, a neighbour of mine went out walking with his dog about 10 minutes after they knocked on his door, and he saw the same 4 youths on North Terrace trying to break into a van. He watched them for a minute or two and then walked towards them but they ran away. But don't worry, I was just trying to be a responsible citizen and worn of suspicious behaviour going on at night, but Raymond you have completely put me off ever posting now.
raymond16/03/2014Sarah, the whole point of the forum is that we can all express our opinion. I simply said that I worked with Echo and it was for sale. I would love to know where I can get it for free as I am sure Mgt. would as I pay 1.80 per week
M17/03/2014We also get the Echo free at work. Piles are placed in an special rack thing in two reception/canteen areas of the large building. This must be an arrangement they have with large & public organisations. Generally I read one and then put it back in the rack. A man delivers them - Anyone could wander in and take some, I suspect this may be what has happened, but I won't jump to conclusions.
Graham17/03/2014I live on North Terrace and have had my car broken into and burnt out by youths of that age, so you carry on reporting Sarah. My neighbour's car too. If they're breaking in, they're breaking in. This has become a serious problem and all suspicious activity should be reported to the Gards. Those youths called at my door too. If they're engaged in legit sales they have nothing to worry about.
M19/03/2014If this were Facebook I would post a photo of the free Echo rack. I think Sarah is owed an apology.
S19/03/2014Fair play to Sarah for reporting this. They came to our door too on the North Terrace around 7pm, i.e. when it was dark.

It's pretty strange to be going around selling a paper at night door to door. I for one have never seen this before from a normal business. By 7pm it is yesterdays paper.
Peter Mc19/03/2014Hi "S",

The Echo is a weekly newspaper, so I don't understand what you mean by it being "yesterdays news" by 7pm.

It's not a free newspaper either.

Hope you understand, by all means be vigilant, but people should learn the facts before jumping to conclusions and making comments on a public medium like this website. I mean, how do you think the lads who were delivering The Echo in the locality would feel if they were to see the comments on this website ?
S19/03/2014Apologies Peter. I didn't realise it was a weekly newspaper.

Having called Nathan it seems to be a new initiative in the area.

Given the recent spate of break-ins, I would still commend Sarah for highlighting what would have seemed suspicious in the past.

But fair play to the lads for getting this business model up and running. I'll buy it next time!
DK19/03/2014I phoned The Echo today and confirmed that this is a legitimate home delivery service in the area.
raymond19/03/2014I phoned both Nathan and The Echo and got the same answer.
M20/03/2014To those of you convinced that The Echo is never given away free - walk into any 3rd level or VEC college; Ballyfermot or Inchicore for example, and collect your free copy today - there are always lots left over.
This free promotion is probably to encourage young people to read it. Although I think Sarah was slightly muddled up with the free newpapers in Tesco and it does still have the price on it.
raymond20/03/2014I have checked this out and some cafes give out free "Echos" but it still has the price 1.80.