Inchicore Environmental Group

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Vincent H07/01/2014After all the windy weather, the first clean-up of Inchicore village environs will happen this coming Saturday 11th January, 10am at Workman’s Club, beside the bus stop on Emmet Road. We’ll try to focus on the central Y-zone of the village (Tyrconnell/ Oblates - St Michael’s on Emmet Road – Model School on Grattan Crescent) and perhaps also extend the area numbers (and weather) permitting.

Note for any newcomers: hi-vis vests, gloves, brushes and litter pickers will be provided....all you need are warm clothes and a positive spirit! As usual, we’ll have a cuppa in one of the local cafés after the work in completed.

After a really successful year in combating litter and ‘greening’ Inchicore in 2013, we look forward to seeing you in a renewed burst of civic activity in 2014! Please feel free to pass on this message to any others you think may be interested.

Until the evenings get brighter, our current schedule will be to meet up twice a month, on the second Saturday and the last Saturday of each month, alternating between the village and the canal. Keep an eye on our facebook page for updates - 'like' us at:
www.facebook.com/InchicoreEnvironmentalGroup
Local resident11/01/2014Firstly i would like to say i think you are fantastic to organise a group of people to give up time to do this. I hope some weekend I can make our put to help you.
However I would ask , what am I paying the council this property tax for If its a voluntary group keeping the area clean!!! Do the group of volunteers also regularly report littering offences and lack of maintainance to the council too?
Anita11/01/2014I have to say I agree with "local resident's" comments. I have helped out in another area I lived in, but I think here in Inchicore you need to get the shops to clean outside their shops, it is their responsibility. Also it is the council's job to clean up the village. a lot of people are putting out their rubbish on Tyrconnell because they know it will be picked up by the volunteers. I was going to get involved but thought twice about it.
Helen15/01/2014It is voluntarism that makes community and I am happy to do my part in making my environment a cleaner & healthier place to live in ask not....
Oisin Ó hAlmhain16/01/2014I volunteer with this and other cleanup groups from time to time too.
Keeping Inchicore tidy will make it a more attractive place for businesses and jobs to locate and a nicer place to live. We definitely have to convince businesses and homeowners to keep the area around their property clean, and the more people that get involved, the easier it will be to do this. The city council also respond and do some of the heavier cleaning, and they are responsive because volunteers get out there and show that we care about Inchicore.
There was rubbish being dumped on Tyrconnell road under the trees long before the Inchicore Environment group started cleaning up, and as far as I know, the council are the ones who end up cleaning it up. We all have to pull together, so if you know somebody who is dumping because they think somebody else is going to clean it up, pick up the phone and tell the city council (phone 01-222 2222). Ask for waste management, south central area.
raymond17/01/2014I actually agree with local resident. It is not about volunteering, I am a volunteer all my life, (I couldn't list all) but it is about teaching people in the area to keep their area clean. I think it is great that you are getting the school involved, however I think it is Goldenbridge school you need to work on. It can be destructive volunteering when the fruits of your labour are not appreciated. You clean up on Sat and the place is dirty again Sunday morning.
Phil18/01/2014I couldn't agree more with the last 2 comments .While I agree with keeping the village clean, people should be made clean up outside their own house and shops. I clean where I live but then you see mothers throwing their sweet papers, sandwich wrappers etc, so what hope is there for the future. We need litter wardens, we pay enough in property tax
that the councils and government should
get wardens out to police the filth and dirt around our area.
raymond19/01/2014I agree with most of the comments here.
I think we all want cleaner village, I agree with a litter warden but one who also controls the people who walked dogs. It is unreal the amount of people who walk their pets and let them foul the streets and we have to watch where we walk.
raymond24/01/2014I see there is a canal clean up on 1st Feb at 10am starting from Bulfin Hall.
Vincent H19/02/2014As we race towards the end of February, please don’t forget about our month-end clean-up of Inchicore village this coming Saturday, the 22nd, at 10am at Workmen’s Club, beside the bus stop on Emmet Road. As before, we’ll focus on the central Y-zone of the village (Tyrconnell/ Oblates - St Michael’s on Emmet Road – Model School on Grattan Crescent).

Hi-viz vests, gloves, brushes and litter pickers will be provided.... We’ll also have a cuppa in one of the local cafés after the work in completed. Please feel free to pass on this message to any others you think may be interested.

See you there!

Keep an eye on our facebook page for updates - 'like' us at:
Vincent H04/03/2014Hi everyone! The Inchicore Environmental Group will be getting together again this Saturday, 8 March, at 10am for another clean-up along the canal. We’ll meet up at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue (close to the Goldenbridge Luas stop) before heading in all directions along the banks of the canal.
It would be great to see all the regulars, but also any new friends and neighbours you’d like to invite along for the banter on the canal, especially over the cup of tea at the end of the clean-up. Just bring yourself (and your gloves if you’ve been before). We’ll supply the hi-viz bibs, bags and equipment.
See you there!
Keep an eye on our facebook page for updates - 'like' and follow us on:
Vincent H08/03/2014Some photos from today's clean-up along the canal:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.711661405539924.1073741844.525202147519185
Vincent H26/03/2014Neighbours and friends, our next clean up will be on 29 March at 10am, meeting at the Workmen’s Club on Emmet Road. As usual we supply pickers, bags and gloves but if you have your own gloves bring them along. We’ll be doing a regular clean-up, but also refreshing some of the flower barrels on Emmet Road from our own funds so bring your green fingers. All volunteers and volunteered time appreciated as we try to keep our village in good shape!

Please 'like' us and share our page for updates:
Vincent H04/05/2014Canal Clean-up: The Inchicore Environmental Group has arranged the next canal clean-up for next Saturday morning, 10 May, at 10am. Everyone is more than welcome to join in! We’ll meet up at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue (close to the Goldenbridge Luas stop) from where we’ll spread out along the canal to tidy things up a bit.
Come along to help out – we’ll also catch up over a cup of tea at the end of the clean-up. Just bring yourself (and your gloves if you’ve been before). We’ll supply all the other tools required.
Vincent H23/05/2014The next Inchicore Environmental Group clean-up will be on Wednesday evening, 28 May at 7:30pm, meeting at the Workmen’s Club on Emmet Road. This is the first of our evening outings, which we usually do in the summer to make use of the good light. We supply pickers, bags and gloves but if you have your own gloves bring them along. Everyone is welcome tot join in!
PS: We hope that everyone is enjoying our recently re-planted flower barrels on Emmet Road in front of the old medical centre.
Colm O'Regan26/05/2014And for any tweeters we're on twitter at www.twitter.com/@inchicoreenviro
Colm O'Regan28/05/2014JUst a reminder we are having our midweek cleanup this evening, meeting at 7.30pm at the Workman's Club
Vincent H11/06/2014Our next Canal Cleanup is this Saturday morning June 14th at 10am, meeting at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue, Inchicore. We supply pickers and gloves and swanky printed bibs. We just pick up accessible bits of litter along the walkways adjacent to the canal. We'll be done by 11 at the latest and there'll be tea afterwards if you're free to stay. Hope to see as many of you there as possible!
Vincent H28/07/2014We hope to see as many fellow Inchicorians at our next clean-up this Wednesday. We’ll be meeting at 7.30pm at the Workmens Club on Emmet Road.
This will be our last cleanup before taking a month off as our members enjoy the summer. We'll be doing the village, a bit of plant watering and bit of a tidy-up.
Thanks again for reading and even if you're not interested in doing cleanups - perfectly understandable - please do spread the word about the group's work as the more people we have on board, the more we can do.
Hope to see you there on Wednesday!
Vincent H30/07/2014We hope to see as many fellow Inchicorians at our next clean-up tonight at 7.30pm next to the Workmens Club on Emmet Road.
This will be our last cleanup before taking a month off as our members enjoy the summer.
Alan 05/08/2014I just wanted to show my appreciation for the great work you do!
I went for a very pleasant walk along the canal on Monday and they place looked great! Lots of people were out enjoying it.
It's a real improvement on how it was a couple of years ago :-)
Grace06/08/2014Yes, can I second that. It's absolutely fantastic and brilliant to see such a great community effort.
Vincent H24/09/2014Our next clean-up will be in the village this Saturday, 27 Sep, meeting next to the Workmen's Club on Emmet Rd at 10am. Thanks to everyone who came along to our first clean-up of the season along the canal recently.
As before we'll provide refuse bags and IEG bibs, but please bring your own gloves if previously provided. Please also feel free to invite any of your neighbours to come long... See you there!
Alanc29/09/2014It's nice to see that cameras have finally gone up on tyrconnell road to address the illegal dumping
Grace01/10/2014It would be great to see cameras going up along the canal too. The council should be lobbied for this, they surely have the resources now after all the property tax they have collected.
Alan C01/10/2014Grace, I'm not sure what got the council to install the camera but I suspect it might have helped that I have been reporting between 4-5 incidents of dumping on this street every week for the past couple of months.
These reports get noticed so I would suggest young might do the same for other problem areas such as the canal.
Make reports to:
Fixyourstreet.ie
ma02/10/2014A lot of people reported the dumping not only on Tyrconnell Rd but in other areas too. The environmental group have done so as well, so it is not just you Alan. I don't remember you helping on the clean ups! There is a lot of undesireables living on Tryconnell Rd and drug dealing ect going on so maybe that is why cameras were installed.
Michael02/10/2014Well said MA. We all have reported dumping for years and I totally agree with you about some people living on Tyrconnell Rd that cause problems. There are a number of houses opposite the Oblates and they seem to attract a lot of unwanted attention. There are a lot of people working in various, alongside DCC, Gardaí and other bodies to try and improve Inchicore in many ways, to make it a better place for all.
Alan C02/10/2014Michael and MA you sound like a pair of moaners. Who did you report dumping to? How many official reports did you make with DCC? My guess is none, many people have been moaning about rubbish but moaning changes nothing.
Now your moaning at me because I'm truth to encourage people to report dumping as I think it makes a real difference if you do.
Quit the moaning
ma02/10/2014Alan, I think I know you and who do you think you are, people are working and have worked for many years with DCC or Dublin Corporation for many many years. It is easy to report things, it is only a phone call or an email. I have worked tirelessly for Inchicore. I don't have to open to you, you are not working now!!!!!!!!!
local03/10/2014Maybe we leave everything to Alan C. He seems to want to take credit for everything. I agree with the other comments that people are working very hard to try and clean up the village, to try and solve the crime problems and like the other comments I don't remember Alan on any committee or group. Self praise is no praise Alan!. We have to work together not against one another. Oisin is doing a lot also in the area to clean up the area. Come out Alan on our next clean up. One minute you say you don't know how we won an award and then you are taking credit for the cameras. This is not Alan bashing but work with us not against us. I know some of the other people who made comments on this site and told them to ignore the site as it is just annoying the people who are trying their best. Inchicore can improve and will improve with the few decent people who are working hard to resolve all the issues, and there are about 20 people.
Alan c03/10/2014Guys calm down, nobody is taking credit for anything, there are still piles of rubbish on Tyrconnell Road so it would be a bit premature to assign credit anyway.
The council are the ones that installed the cameras not me, the council are responsible for waste management they deserve the credit or blame whichever is more appropriate.
I am merely stating what both Oisin and The Environmental Group have previously stated: if you report dumping or other issues officially to the council they WILL respond and are good at responding.
You don't need to be on any committee or in any special group, everyone has equal access to council services, a regular citizen has as much power as anyone else including councillors.

Local im not against you I don't even know who you are, but you guys seem to think you are special for some reason, nobody is more special than anyone else and that's the essence of a real Republic somi make no apologies for my comments
Inchicore Environmental Group03/10/2014Hi everyone,

I really think we're all on the same side here.

The news about the cameras is great. That is a blackspot and hopefully it will help bring about an improvement. It can't do any harm anyway.

Thanks MA and Alan for caring so much about the area to help out - either through cleanups or reporting. Both methods take time and are voluntary and can only be positive.

Many people legitimately don't want to pick up other's rubbish. That's completely fair enough. Others prefer doing an hour every now and then, bit of exercise, meet the neighbours and it's therapeutic to see an area looking better even for a short time. But its not the only way to help.

The group can never pick up all the rubbish. We're just trying to show that the community - as a whole, not just those in bibs - care about the area and hopefully make a few people think before they litter. (the kind of people who dump bags and bags of rubbish, we'll never change their minds. Only a fine will sort that.)
And we are so grateful for all types of support - either participation, encouragement or the work that others do in reporting - that we get.

We had a small meeting on Tuesday night about what kind of things we might do next and we'll tell the forum our ideas and look for your suggestions in a little while.

Thanks as ever and if you can keep using fixmystreet.ie or http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council/isupport then it's bound to help. Once it's reported AFAIK DCC are obliged to do something about it. I hope :)
We can all only do our best.

Colm
Vincent H14/11/2014Winter Clean-up Schedule 2014:
Saturday November 29th, meet 10am, BERA Hall, Bulfin Estate beside canal (across canal from Goldenbridge LUAS stop)
Saturday December 13th, meet 10am, outside Workmen’s Club, Emmet Road bus stop, Inchicore Village clean-up
Everyone welcome - the more the merrier!
Vincent H26/11/2014Quick reminder - Canal Clean-up:
Our next clean-up is on this Saturday 29th on the Canal, meeting at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue at 10am. (just near the Goldenbridge LUAS stop)
We'll do a bit of bulb planting around the hall and a cleanup to get it looking nice for Christmas. Please join us for the morning - the more the merrier!
Vincent H07/12/2014The winners of our Inchicore in Autumn Photography Competition have been announced. See results at https://www.facebook.com/InchicoreEnvironmentalGroup
Vincent H19/01/2015Happy New Year, neighbours!
We will be having our first canal clean-up of the new year on this Saturday, Jan 24th at 10am. We meet at the Bulfin Estate Residents Association Hall (BERA), which is the brown building on the canal at the top of Connolly Avenue (close to the Goldenbridge Luas stop).
Bags pickers and gloves will be supplied, but if you have your own gloves do bring them. All are welcome and it's also a nice way to get to know neighbours if you're new or newish to the area.
Feel free to like and follow us at:
http://www.facebook.com/InchicoreEnvironmentalGroup
Vincent H24/02/2015We will have our next Canal Clean-up this coming Saturday, February 28th, meeting at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue at 10am.
As well as our usual pick-up modus operandi, we will also be working with the volunteers from the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland to maximise the impact of our work as they will be bringing some dinghies to help us get to the hard-to-reach parts of the canal.
Everyone is more than welcome to come along; it would be great to get a good turnout as we'll need people onshore to help out.
Vincent H02/03/2015Thanks to everyone who came along for the canal clean-up on Saturday; we got quite a good bit done. Pics can be viewed at:
https://www.facebook.com/InchicoreEnvironmentalGroup
Vincent H03/03/2015Thanks to everyone who came along for the canal clean-up on Saturday; we got quite a good bit done. Pics can be viewed at:
IEG25/03/2015Hello all,
Our next canal cleanup is this Saturday morning at 10am meeting at the BERA Hall,
All welcome.

Also April 25th is a Canal Day of action. All the groups along the city lengths of the two canals will be out so if this Saturday is not a goer for you, we'd love to see you out then to give the place a good going over!
IEG27/03/2015Just a reminder about our canal cleanup tomorrow morning. 10am BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue
IEG27/05/2015Hi everyone! We’ll meet again this Saturday at 10am at the Workmen’s Club on Emmet Rd for a village clean-up – please join in if you can make it. Bags, pickers and gloves will be supplied. The weather forecast suggests we should have a fine morning before it goes a bit pear shaped for the rest of the weekend. Hope you can make it!
Vincent H13/07/2015Our next clean-up is this Wednesday, July 15th, meeting at the Workman's Club on Emmet Road at 7.30pm. We'll do an hour around the village and then have a cup of tea in the Black Lion for whoever's around. Hope to see you there!
IEG02/11/2015The next Canal Clean-up will be this coming Saturday, 7 November, meeting at the BERA Hall at the top of Connolly Avenue at 10am (next to Goldenbridge luas stop). Pickers, hi-viz vests and bin bags will be provided, so please come along for another great community outing.
Everyone is more than welcome to come along; please also invite any interested neighbours!
IEG26/11/2015The next clean-up will be this Saturday, 28 November, at 10am - meeting in the village next to the Workmen's Club on Emmet Road, from where we will spread out around the village. Hope to see you there! All welcome.
INchicore Environmental Group28/01/2016Cleanup along the canal this Saturday - meeting at the BERA hall at 10am

Bags, pickers, tea, buns supplied!

Hope to see as many of you there as possible

IEG
INchicore Environmental Group18/02/2016Firstly thanks to all who came along on a ‘brisk’ morning for the canal cleanup a couple of weeks ago – special welcome to the new members.

We will have a village cleanup and shrubbery spruce up this Saturday meeting at the Workmans club on Emmet Road at 10am.

We will be cleaning up the IEG barrels on Emmet Road and also the shrubbery opposite shops on Tyrconnell Road.

We will also do a cleanup of the Inchicore Core! The more people we have the more we can do.

Pickers, gloves, bags will be supplied

IEG
PA02/03/2016Hi, I read about the DUBLIN CLEAN UP on Saturday, 26 March 2016 from 11:00 to 13:00, which should gather up to 10,000 participants. Is there any cleaning plan in Inchicore on that day?

Thank you.
INchicore Environmental Group03/03/2016Hi PA,

Thanks for getting in touch! We are in the process of coming up with a plan for doing something that day. It's Easter Saturday so getting numbers might be tricky but we'll definitely support it in whatever way we can. Would you like to email us at inchicoreenvironmental AT gmail.com to let us know any ideas you might have for that day. All input welcome!
All the best,
IEG