Fake wall and shop

AuthorMessage DateMessage
M27/03/2013A pretend wall (a digital photograph attached to a wooden screen) has been erected on the bridge over the Camac on Emmet Road. The council can not lengthen the actual wall as they do not own the land. This complements the pretend French cafe covering the dilapidated house, next to the working men's club. I think this is a wonderful idea improving safety and the look of Emmet Road.
Oisin O H05/04/2013I do like it, but, wouldn't it be better if the two sites were cleaned up properly?
Oisin O H05/04/2013I do like it, but, wouldn't it be better if the two sites were cleaned up properly?
M06/04/2013I spoke with the man putting up the 'wall'. He said because the council don't own the properties they couldn't do anything about them. They were putting up these photo boards to make the sites safer for the public.
DK06/04/2013Dublin City Council has powers to force the property owner to clean up the site and make it safe. The relevant legislation is the Derelict Sites Act, 1990 and the Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1964. What we should do is make complaints about the site to Dublin City Council and to our elected local Councillors. Dublin City Council. The legislation allows Dublin City Council to prosecute the owner if he/she does not comply with notices served and for the Council to carry out necessary work themselves and charge the owner for the cost.
Inchicore resident08/04/2013They seem to be a good idea, for a short/medium term measure.

I think that "Core Cafe" in particular looks quite realistic from across the road. I got quite a surprise the first evening I saw it!

It was so annoying, though, to see this morning that the fake wall has been vandalised already. Do these people have nothing to do but destroy every attempt to improve the area?...

As regards to redevelopment, this would certainly be the best step. However, I with the current shortage of money, I can't imagine the council spending public money to develop these sites, if they are privately owned. The council could "charge" the costs to the owners, but what are the odds of actual money being recouped.
M09/04/2013I actually saw the vandalism taking place. I heard it first and looked out of the window. It was a group of boys, no more than 10 years old, with small hurleys and a big stick. They climbed over the wall, scraping and poking it as they did. They had rampaged down Spa Road first.
Jim11/04/2013I think I know the lads you are talking about. I've seen them about acting the maggot in the eurospar. I have a gut feeling they are from the council estate up around St Michaels. Do their parents have any control over them!
ray12/04/2013I also saw the lads who destroyed the fake wall. They are NOT FROM THE COUNCIL ESTATE NEAR ST MICHAELS. Just because these lads hang around the waste ground of Michaels Est doesn't mean they live there. One lives on Jamestown Rd, one in Drimnagh. I could go on, get your facts straight.
mgt12/04/2013I agree with the last comment, everyone blames the people in council estates for everything. What a waste of money, I know the intention was good to clean up the village but it cost a lot of money and it was bound to happen.
DJ12/04/2013I agree with the last 2 comments. There are very decent people living in council estates, there are bad apples everywhere.
If people know who the culprits are, give the names to gardai and DCC and they can have a word with the parents. Make the parents pay and the kids might think twice.
Harry12/04/2013Maybe this is a lesson for the people who put up the fake wall. I thought it was a waste of money, I understand the reason but it was never going to work. Everyone saw the fake wall going up so it was a recipe for disaster.
Jim12/04/2013I see I'm being lambasted for what I siad about council estate and I apologise if I offended anyone. I suppose I look at a place like Myra Close which I believe is a council estate and see the rubbish that's thrown around in there and I get the opinion that they just don't give a damn...I'm from the country originally so to see this is all very new and shocking to me...
Jim12/04/2013I see I'm being lambasted for what I siad about council estate and I apologise if I offended anyone. I suppose I look at a place like Myra Close which I believe is a council estate and see the rubbish that's thrown around in there and I get the opinion that they just don't give a damn...I'm from the country originally so to see this is all very new and shocking to me...
DK12/04/2013Ray, you say that one of the vandals lives on Jamestown Rd and one in Drimnagh. Are you going to do the decent thing and report the crime to the Gardai ?
M12/04/2013I do not know who they are or where they are from, but I consider their parents to be negligent. They seemed to be about 10 years old and could have injured themselves, both crossing Emmet Road with no regard to traffic and climbing over the false wall and dropping down the other side. The very danger the wall was put up to avoid.
M12/04/2013The age of criminal responsibility for minor crimes is 12 - but their parents should be held responsible. The worse an area looks, the less people care for it..'Broken windows' theory.
ray12/04/2013There is no point in reporting it to the gardai, they cannot do anything as they are under 12.
CK12/04/2013Very little can be done about these kids. Penalise the parents by stopping the welfare payments. The corpo used to run soccer and tennis camps, that would be good for the kids. I am from a council estate and it was the best place ever. We cleaned up our estate every week and planted flowers etc. It doesn't matter where you live if you have good parents!
DK12/04/2013ray, i didn't realise that the vandals were under 12. The Gardai won't be able to prosecute them due to their age but the Gardai would definitely be interested to know of their identities and that of their parents. The Gardai will keep a record of it, talk to the parents and take steps to prevent further incidents.

You should inform Dublin City Council of the identities also.

Dublin City Council will be able to recover the cost of the repairs from the parents if the parents are aware of a propensity of the child to carry out such acts of vandalism and the parents failed to take the necessary steps to prevent a repetition of this conduct.

If the parents are in receipt of welfare, deducting the repair costs from the welfare payments is an option.
Oisin O hAlmhain 16/04/2013Would anybody be interested in a community cleanup and weeding of the site so that it doesn't need a fake wall at all? Obviously there would need to be some sort of a fence to stop people falling in, but It would be nice to be able to see the river.
M16/04/2013Yes and take the plastic out of the trees behind that part of the river - been bothering me for some years - might be a bit tricky though. I think the weeds behind the wall get cut down every now and again, but obviously they regrow quickly; not forgetting the property belongs to someone who keeps unsuccessfully trying to sell it at property auctions - worth very little now. While on the subject I really dislike the half falling down wall around the dilapidated house 'core cafe' - attracts rubbish and is the worst eyesore in immediate area.

Paddy O18/04/2013@Oisin, There is a clean up group that meets once a month to clean up the area. Keep an eye on this site for the next clean up date
M18/04/2013Does the clean up group always meet on a Saturday - as opposed to a Sunday ?
Ian19/04/2013It is generally a Saturday but during the Summer last year we organised a few Wednesday night clean ups...
Oisin20/04/2013@paddy thanks. I might go to the Inchicore Environment Groups meeting and see if they are interested but there can never be "too many" clean up groups!

I know nothing like this is selling at the moment, but I wondered if the condition of the place, and places around it have made it even harder to sell.
Vincent H25/04/2013Hi All - To stay in touch with or to get involved with the Inchicore Environmental Group, 'like' us at:
www.facebook.com/InchicoreEnvironmentalGroup
or see
http://inchicoreenvironmental.wordpress.com
Inchicore resident29/04/2013Hi - Glad to see that that the "wall" was actually fixed last week. At least now it looks somewhat like a wall again!

Did someone contact the council about this?

It is very frustrating to see this group of children running around and creating vandalism in the area.
M29/04/2013I didn't contact council, but very glad it was mended so quickly. Strangely since I mention the real wall by the bus stop, more of it has been knocked down. I suspect another car drove into it, which happens periodically.