Inchicore House

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Billy Saunderson23/04/2012I am researching the history of a townland in County Cavan where Raymond Hervey,Viscount Frankfort De Montmorency is recorded as Landlord in 1856.In a document I viewed his address is given as Inchicore House. I would greatly appreciate any information on this family as I am particularly keen to source any estate or land records of the family.
Billy Saunderson
Michael O'Flanagan23/04/2012Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - KILMAINHAM

Husband Wife
Name HARVEY WM DE MONTMORENCY CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN
Address JUDICIAL HOUSE INCHICORE HOUSE
Occupation GENTLEMAN N/R
Father HARVEY MERRYN DE DE MONTMORENCY EDWARD HOLOHAN
Mother N/R N/R

Marriage of HARVEY WM DE MONTMORENCY of JUDICIAL HOUSE and CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN of INCHICORE HOUSE on 16 February 1885

Husband Age FULL
Husband Marital Status B
Wife Age MINOR
Wife Marital Status S
Husband's Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN
Wife's Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN
Witness 1 EDWARD HOLOHAN (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)
Witness 3 WM DE MONTMORENCY (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

Alan C24/04/2012Hi Billy,

Inchicore House itself can be found on c.1840 map below
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,711726,733955,5,8
It was roughly to be found where the Liffey Gaels pitches are located now.

The house is mentioned in Seosamh O'Broin: "Inchicore, Kilmainham and District" I think the book is out of print but you can find a copy in Inchicore Library.
Mary Mc24/04/2012Just to let you know Seosamh O'Broin's book is still on sale, I saw a number of copies in Eason's in O'Connell St.
Martin28/08/2012Married to CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN - my great grandmother!
Chris Carlin28/10/2012My step grandfather's uncle, Will Cant, had the lease on Inchicore House in 1952. I recall visiting there as a child and being led around secret passages by my Irish cousins. To the best of my knowledge it was built or at least served as a nunnery back around 1600 and legend has it that Parnell was hidden there at one time. If you're interested I have slides taken of it around 1951/1952. It will take me digging to find them but if you're interested I probably can sometime around the first of the year. I assume it was demolished - very sad it was a fantastic place as I recollect it.
James01/11/2012Inchicore House is referenced by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage and can be seen on the maps which may be of interest. http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewsite.cgi?siteid=2300
Ian Walsh07/12/2012Inchicore House: Edward Holohan owned the house in the 1880s. He was a partner in Wells & Holohan shipping. He had previously owned nearby Bellevue House, located on the river Liffey, where the assortment of mills are now called Bellevue apartments. The house went to Monmorency as a dowry for the marriage of Edward's daughter. Parnell was a regular visitor to the house. Source - Margaret Leamy's 'Parnell's faithful few'. Cecilia Marion Holohan was my great grandmother. She remarried in 1890, after the death of her first husband (without issue) to Michael Byrne and they then lived at Clonskeagh.
Sean Murray28/03/2014
I am very interested in inchicore house and grounds as my farther ran a pitch and putt course and the animal pound up to 1969. It was a beautiful house and grounds with great history. It was demolished after a fire to make way for the motorway to the west.
R o'Hara12/07/2015Hi Ian, I was reading your post with interest. Cecilia Holohan was my great-grandmothers sister. Can I ask who was your great grandmother? Many thanks, Rosemary
Martin Shallcross28/06/2017Rosemary, Ian: As far as I knew,

Martin28/06/2017Rosemary, Ian; as far as I knew, Cecilia only had one daughter by Michael Byrne - my maternal grandmother. Can you tell me more about Cecilia's sister (my great grand aunt?). What relation would this make us?
Ian Walsh 13/07/2018As I understand - Florence and Thomas were siblings. I was told she was living at Liverpool, May 1939 - when her brother and his two daughters visited. She bought her two neices summer bonnets at a big department store in the city.
Martin20/08/2018Thanks, Ian; that's something I never knew, certainly neither my grandmother (Florence) nor my mother (F's daughter) ever talked about a brother (uncle). Florence was brought up by two aunts in Dublin (was Thomas also or did he stay with Cecilia?).

Florence may well have been in Liverpool in 1939 - she raised a family in Gt Yarmouth but her husband (Ernest Connell) had pretty much thrown her out of the house by then (my mother walked out and worked for the Admiralty).

All I know about Michael Byrne is that he once cycled from somewhere in NE England to Norfolk when my mother was a small girl.

As a matter of interest (to me, at least) Florence gave her eldest son the middle name de Montmorency.

One thing that has intrigued our family is that Cecilia came from a nationalist, Parnellite background whereas Harvey was the classic Anglo-Irish ascendancy product. An unlikely pairing but we like to think of it as a Romeo & Juliet romance.
Martin20/08/2018Ian,
I now stand corrected. My wife tells me that my Grandmother (Florence) did mention a brother (Tom), who emigrated to Canada, when we were living in Canada. She had no address or even a city for him, though she didn't think it was Calgary, where we lived.
M
Caroline22/08/2018Harvey William de Montmorency (abt 1854-1887)
Father, Harvey Mervyn de Montmorency
Mother, Louisa Morris-Reade.
Harvey William de Montmorency died three years after marrying Cecilia Marion Holohan.
He was the brother of my great grandfather, Mervyn de Mntmorency.
Ian Walsh15/09/2018Florence and Thomas were indeed siblings. Cecilia had been married to de Montmorency. He got his hands on Inchicore House and she got access to high society.
She remarried. She died shortly after her second child Thomas was born. The children were raised by maidan aunts at Elsinore (Bray Head Hotel) in 1901.
By 1911 they were all based at Mountjoy Square. Linda was the patriarch and the siblings youngest aunt ‘missy’, raised them.
Thomas didn’t emigrate to Canada. He returned to Dublin after the Great War. His wife died young, in 1934.
The siblings also had first cousins - Iris and Harry Holohan, also orphaned. They were raised by their paternal grandmother Nally.
Another aunt, Stella, had married a solicitor named O’Neill - a bit of a rogue. I met his youngest son, Lorcan, in 1980. He was an old man then, but he remembered Thomas arriving to their home at sandymount in late May 1914 and staying the night. The following morning Thomas was delivered to the naval recruitment office and despatched for naval service.
His maidan aunts, and Florence, had expected him to return home to Mountjoy Square after boarding school. There was much trouble within the family. Their sister Stella had married that ‘rogue’ O’Neill. There were a number of scandals in the family, primarily about money and inheritance.
The maidan aunts had been very well connected at Dublin Castle and they had travelled to London for ‘the Season’.
My mother used to visit her father’s maidan aunts, up at Leinster Road, Rathmines, in the 1930s. There were stories galore about Parnell visiting Inchicore House when they were much younger, in the 1880s.
Niamh Flood16/09/2018I have a photograph of the family living there, (undated) taken outside Inchicore House. Judging by the clothing, I would guess it be circa 1900. Happy to scan it and email it if you send me your email.