Inchicore House

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Billy Saunderson23/04/2012I am researching the history of a townland in County Cavan where Raymond Hervey,Viscount Frankfort De Montmorency is recorded as Landlord in 1856.In a document I viewed his address is given as Inchicore House. I would greatly appreciate any information on this family as I am particularly keen to source any estate or land records of the family.
Billy Saunderson
Michael O'Flanagan23/04/2012Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - KILMAINHAM

Husband Wife
Name HARVEY WM DE MONTMORENCY CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN
Address JUDICIAL HOUSE INCHICORE HOUSE
Occupation GENTLEMAN N/R
Father HARVEY MERRYN DE DE MONTMORENCY EDWARD HOLOHAN
Mother N/R N/R

Marriage of HARVEY WM DE MONTMORENCY of JUDICIAL HOUSE and CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN of INCHICORE HOUSE on 16 February 1885

Husband Age FULL
Husband Marital Status B
Wife Age MINOR
Wife Marital Status S
Husband's Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN
Wife's Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN
Witness 1 EDWARD HOLOHAN (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)
Witness 3 WM DE MONTMORENCY (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

Alan C24/04/2012Hi Billy,

Inchicore House itself can be found on c.1840 map below
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,711726,733955,5,8
It was roughly to be found where the Liffey Gaels pitches are located now.

The house is mentioned in Seosamh O'Broin: "Inchicore, Kilmainham and District" I think the book is out of print but you can find a copy in Inchicore Library.
Mary Mc24/04/2012Just to let you know Seosamh O'Broin's book is still on sale, I saw a number of copies in Eason's in O'Connell St.
Martin28/08/2012Married to CECILIA MARION HOLOHAN - my great grandmother!
Chris Carlin28/10/2012My step grandfather's uncle, Will Cant, had the lease on Inchicore House in 1952. I recall visiting there as a child and being led around secret passages by my Irish cousins. To the best of my knowledge it was built or at least served as a nunnery back around 1600 and legend has it that Parnell was hidden there at one time. If you're interested I have slides taken of it around 1951/1952. It will take me digging to find them but if you're interested I probably can sometime around the first of the year. I assume it was demolished - very sad it was a fantastic place as I recollect it.
James01/11/2012Inchicore House is referenced by the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage and can be seen on the maps which may be of interest. http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewsite.cgi?siteid=2300
Ian Walsh07/12/2012Inchicore House: Edward Holohan owned the house in the 1880s. He was a partner in Wells & Holohan shipping. He had previously owned nearby Bellevue House, located on the river Liffey, where the assortment of mills are now called Bellevue apartments. The house went to Monmorency as a dowry for the marriage of Edward's daughter. Parnell was a regular visitor to the house. Source - Margaret Leamy's 'Parnell's faithful few'. Cecilia Marion Holohan was my great grandmother. She remarried in 1890, after the death of her first husband (without issue) to Michael Byrne and they then lived at Clonskeagh.
Sean Murray28/03/2014
I am very interested in inchicore house and grounds as my farther ran a pitch and putt course and the animal pound up to 1969. It was a beautiful house and grounds with great history. It was demolished after a fire to make way for the motorway to the west.
R o'Hara12/07/2015Hi Ian, I was reading your post with interest. Cecilia Holohan was my great-grandmothers sister. Can I ask who was your great grandmother? Many thanks, Rosemary