Litter

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Sean30/03/2011Hi,

Was waitng for the bus this morning and couldn't get over the amount of litter around the place. Mainly wrappers and cans. I passed Myra Close and it's awful down there with so much crap on the streets. Do people in that estate care? What can be done. I have sent an email to Claire Byrne but didn't hear anything back as of yet. Any suggestions what can be done?
SHEA CARROLL30/03/2011I MET CATHRINE BYRNE ON EMMET ROAD AS SHE WAS CANVASSING FOR THE ELECTIONS(NOT THE LAST ELECTION BUT THE PREVIOUS ONE) AND TRIED TO MAKE SAME POINT RE LITTER.WITHOUT BREAKING STRIDE SHE REPLIED"THATS IRISH PEOPLE FOR YOU".ASKING LOCAL POLITICIANS TO TACKLE LITTER ISSUES IS PROBABLY FRUITLESS.CONTACTING DCC DIRECTLY IS A BETTER OPTION.I HAVE CONTACTED DCC RE LITTER IN THE PAST AND HAVE HAD SOME SATISFACTION
Molly31/03/2011The Litter problem is particularly bad in the Ring Street Area too. We raised this issue with Sean Ardagh when he was canvansing in the election before the last and he worte to the DCC on our behalf. Things improved for a while, but it's as bad as ever again. It wouldn't kill Catherine Byrne to write a letter to the Council. She is supposed to be a representative to the people in the Area. I might raise it with Joan Collins too as she lives on this street. No harm if we all put a bit of pressure on!
Molly
Jim21/04/2011Hi Sean,

I was walking past Myra Close the other day and i noticed the rubbish around there myself; prams, tyres, cans etc. I have discovered since it's a council estate so that tells you everything you need to know really. Seems to be no pride in the place.

Jim
Mary Mc21/04/2011a lot of people in council estates can put us to shame, they take great pride in their homes, gardens and their estates. The council are supposed to clean every now then, after all it is their estate. I know council tenants who have
won awards for their gardens and for tidy estates in Inchicore.
Martha23/04/2011Jesus Jim....will you get down off that high horse of yours...re your quote...
"I have discovered since it's a council estate so that tells you everything you need to know really"

Get over yourself...Not all council estates are like that and even with the one you are refering to in this thread there are probably plenty of decent people in that council estate who unfortunately for them, may have neighbours who dump litter or who may not take as much pride in their home/street or who participate in antisocial behaviour.

Litter is a problem throughout Inchicore. Add it to the list of others. The main part of Emmett Rd by shops and health clinic and former St Michaels est site and parts of canal from Goldenbridge up to and around Black Horse bridge is terribly run down and long overdue regeneration. If this happened it might encourage a bit more overall pride in the area. Most of the rest of Inchicore is actually nice and well presented.
Sean09/05/2011Jim,

I hope it wasn't you that was shot in Myra Close for critising it....but seriously what goes on in these places pure crazy! But for me it proves that if people don't care about their area it really will disintegrate.. Hope the police catch these scumbags!
Melissa Sheridan01/07/2011Can anything be done regarding the litter on Spa Road? It seems to be an ongoing battle as bins have now been removed and the waste manager at DCC is adamant that the cleaning schedule for this "residential street" can be no more than 4 times a year...
The shop front at that end of Spar can even do with cleaning. Now with a circus in place, can only imagine, it will get worse
angie10/07/2011the only way the litter situation will improve is if we put pressure on the council to do more. Get onto the dublin City Council website and fill in a complaint form/send e-mails and demand a better service.That's what I've decided to do.