Christmas Day Canal Swim , Inchicore.

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Sharon19/12/2010Hi !
The CABHAIR Christmas Day Swim :
It began - properly structured and organised - in 1976 ,as a fundraiser with a difference, combined with the need to gain extra publicity for a situation which was then - as now - making world headlines . Those that sat down together in early September 1976 to tighten-up the then hit-and-miss affair were a dedicated team who fully understood that to fail in their business would not only bring derision on them and the issue they sought to highlight , but would give their opposition a publicity coup which they would exploit to the fullest extent . With that in mind...
...the team persevered - favours were called-in , guarantees were secured , provisions obtained and word dispatched to like-minded individuals in the vicinity . At the appointed time on the agreed day - 12 Noon , Christmas Day 1976 - a soon-to-be 34-years-young event was born. The CABHAIR Christmas Day Swim is , thankfully , still going strong and will be , as mentioned , 34-years-young on December 25th 2010 ! Such is the strength and popularity of the event , the organisers are able to provide two tables of drink and foodstuffs , a turf fire and music - all materials being donated by local shops and pubs etc and , for the past few years , Santa (fully dressed and bearded, of course!) has made an appearance , to the delight of the children present. If you're in the area , drop by and have a look : it starts at 12 Noon , at the 3rd Lough in Inchicore , Dublin (opposite 'The Blackhorse Inn') and 'refreshments' will be provided - All Welcome !
More info (and pics) here -
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/97838
Thanks!
Sharon.
Judi23/12/2010Those photos look scarey.
Doesn't look too organised at all, more like a bunch of drunken yobs jumping into the canal.
Hardly suitable for families.

State of them!
Sharon27/12/2010Hi Judi!
You must be easily scared - possibly to do with how disorganised you are ? Or maybe it's due to your drinking ?
Anyway - there are new (2010) swim pics here for all the family : look away now , Judi.
;-)

http://11sixtynine.blogsome.com/2010/12/26/cabhair-christmas-swim-25th-december-2010/

Thanks!
Sharon.

Judi27/12/2010Hi Sharon, thanks for that.
Is that the kind of welcome you have for anyone who isn't of the same mindset as yoursef?
I think your abusive comments put into words the point I was making about the photos. Vulgar!
Sharon27/12/2010Hi again , Judi!
lol!
You ask about "welcome comments"?
What about these comments , from you , which you posted here in the first instance -
"Scarey....doesn't look too organised at all.... bunch of drunken yobs.....state of them..."
-if you want a "welcome" , Judi , try offering one first or , at the very least , try and be 'neutral'.
You are a complete hypocrite to accuse me of "abusive comments" , considering how you introduced yourself to this thread. When you sober up , or recover from whatever it is that has upset your head , post an apology on this thread and then perhaps we can discuss this issue properly.
Thanks!
Sharon.

Judi11/01/2011Sharon since you are getting personal; I have to say I dont like your aggressive tone. You dont present yourself very well at all and it's people like you that give Inchicore a bad name.

I think a lot of people would agree with my comments, the photos you posted show a group of people drinking by the canal with open fires lit on the grass.
This is irresponsible on several different levels and demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the canal and wider community.
Sharon11/01/2011Hi Judi!
"Sharon since you are getting personal; I have to say I dont like your aggressive tone."
Lol!
Still the hypocrite , Judi - how is this for "getting personal" : ".....photos look scarey....bunch of drunken yobs.....state of them..."
If you post in an "aggressive" manner to me - as you have done - you can expect the same in reply. You seem surprised that that should be the case ?

"You dont present yourself very well at all and it's people like you that give Inchicore a bad name."
And you , of course, have 'presented' yourself here very well , haven't you ?

"I think a lot of people would agree with my comments"
Have you polled "a lot of people" and, if so , where are the results?

"the photos you posted show a group of people drinking by the canal with open fires lit on the grass"
The pics show swimmers trying to warm up and having a drink after having a swim , and other people in festive mood , joining in with them. It was Christmas Day , you know?

"This is irresponsible on several different levels and demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the canal and wider community"
Your whole attitude to this issue is small-minded , rascist and just overall nasty. You have made a fool of yourself on this thread and, no doubt, will continue to do so.
Thanks anyway!
Sharon.
Judi11/01/2011Hi Sharon,

I think you're the foolish one, how on earth can you suggest that I am being racist? You are being vulgar and arrogant as well as ignorant, we share the same race but not a lot else.

Can the swimmers not heat up without damaging the canal path? The canal provides an essential habitat to protected birds do you think setting fire to it is responsible?
Perhaps the "organisers" could arrnage a barrell next time to avoid un-neccisary damage to the environment.

I fail to understand the need to link alcohol with this event! Could you not organise some flasks of hot tea for the swimmers instead? I dont think its responsible to be drinking at mid-day on the canal at any time of year especially on a family day like Christmas. Hot tea would be a lot more appropriate.

Do u even realise that the fires and consumption of alcohol were in breach of by-laws?
Sharon11/01/2011Hi Judi!

"I think you're the foolish one"
You're the one that described those of us present at the Swim as "a bunch of drunken yobs..." : a foolish comment from , obviously , a foolish person.

"how on earth can you suggest that I am being racist?"
The disgraceful tone of your comments , and your whole attitude towards us, reeks of low-level rascism , in my opinion.

"You are being vulgar and arrogant as well as ignorant"
Unbelievable!
Read your own disgusting remarks re those of us at the swim on that day and then tell me - are those the comments of a civilised person ?

"we share the same race but not a lot else"
And that , Judi , is my good fortune.

"Can the swimmers not heat up without damaging the canal path?"
They did. The canal path was not touched.

"The canal provides an essential habitat to protected birds do you think setting fire to it is responsible?"
Lol!
So now we 'set fire to the canal' , did we ?

"Perhaps the "organisers" could arrnage a barrell next time to avoid un-neccisary damage to the environment"
What "damage" are you talking about ? Oh yes , that's right - we 'set fire to the canal' , didn't we?

"I fail to understand the need to link alcohol with this event!"
Did you read the report on the event ? Did you not see where , in same, it was stated clearly that teas and coffees were available , as well as other hot (and cold) drinks?

"Could you not organise some flasks of hot tea for the swimmers instead?"
Judi , you are making an even bigger fool of yourself now : please read the Swim report before you make any more incorrect comments.

"I dont think its responsible to be drinking at mid-day on the canal at any time of year especially on a family day like Christmas."
Some of those that make the effort to get there like to have the option of a drink , hot or cold - the organisers provide just such an option.

" Hot tea would be a lot more appropriate."
Read the report - use a search engine and educate yourself on the facts concerned before you type any more incorrect comments , please.
Do it as a favour to yourself.

"Do u even realise that the fires and consumption of alcohol were in breach of by-laws?"
And calling a group of people "a scary bunch of drunken yobs" is ok , is it?
Judi12/01/2011Hi Sharon,

It is the complete disregard for the law and the lack of respect for the canal that is yobbish. The drunkeness is simply down to the drinking.

So yes in the photos you do look like a bunch of drunken yobs to me, and your comments seem to support that view.

I think you should have a look at the by-laws and note the miscellaneous prohibitions.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0247.html

Sharon12/01/2011Hi Judi!
"It is the complete disregard for the law"
Those same 'lawmakers' bend , twist and/or ignore 'the law' when it suits them , financially and/or morally , to do so - you should pick a better yardstick to 'measure' yourself against.

"and the lack of respect for the canal that is yobbish."
We "set it on fire" , didn't we ?
A lovely amenity like that and you begrudge people the use of it for a few hours once a year - are you really such a snob , Judi ?

"The drunkeness is simply down to the drinking."
So tea and coffee have that effect on you , do they ?

"So yes in the photos you do look like a bunch of drunken yobs to me,"
So even the children in the pics are "drunken yobs" , are they ? You ARE a snob , without a doubt.....

"and your comments seem to support that view."
....and a small-minded one , too.

"I think you should have a look at the by-laws and note the miscellaneous prohibitions.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0247.html"
Yes , indeed - all good sheep know it off by heart.
Sound upstanding citizen , Judi - those in Leinster House love your type!