Dublin Bus Network Review

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Alan C22/10/2010The proposed changes to the local Bus services are now available on dublinbus.ie under Ballyfermot Service Review:

-Routes 51b and 51c will now serve Dame Street and Lord Edward Street in both directions and will not serve the Quays. The terminus for all the 51's and 68,69 will move to Hawkins street effective 31st Oct with further changes to follow.

-Routes 78 and 78a will now be called route 40 and will extend from Dame street (both directions) through to o'Connell street, the Mater, Dorset St, Drumcondra and Finglas running every 10 mins.

-I suspect that this is to compensate for the loss of the 19 route.
Melanie22/10/2010Also relevant to Inchicore - the 79 and 79A will become one bus called the 79- following the old 79A route between Ballyfermot and town.. i.e. no 79 passing under the bridge through the lower part of Sarsfield road any more.
Elaine03/11/2010Hi Alan

I was wondering where you got the information regarding changes to the 78A? I rang Dublin Bus customer information line yesterday, and the lady I spoke to had heard nothing about this!

At present the new arrangements seem to be a retrogade step for Inchicore residents as the 51b/c and the 78a now leave from completely different termini, and take different routes from the city centre. Previously I always just went to Aston Quay and hopped on the next one available.

78A going up Dame Street would certainly make more sense.
mary03/11/2010Go to Dublin Bus website and you will the proposals.
Alan C03/11/2010Hi Mary,

The Dublin Bus website is a bit confusing and the 78a (soon to be route 40) is under Network Direct - Ballyfermot.

I'm very surprised the lady in Dublin Bus hadn't heard about it as Network Direct is the single biggest review they have ever undertaken, very poor service.
If you copy and paste the link below you will get the info regarding changes to 78/78a

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Ballyfermot-/
Elaine03/11/2010Hi Alan

Thanks for the link. I had checked the website before, but had assumed alll the changes would happen at once, so was surprised to still see the 78A timetable. I'll have to keep an eye on this to see when it might be implemented.

Certainly the representative I spoke to at Dublin Bus had no information about these plans. She made some slightly negative noises about network direct, and suggested that all residents impacted should leave a comment on the Dublin Bus comment line, and then they might possibly take another look at the routes.....