New social housing proposal on St Michael's EST site

AuthorMessage DateMessage
C@inchicore23/07/2018Outraged at this change of proposal for At Michaels Estate. This was supposed to be 50% private/20% affordable/30% social housing on this site. Not this 100% social housing 'experiment'. Sounds like another St Michael's Estate in the making. Inchicore is a black spot in dire need of proper investment as it has so much potential and so many great people living here. We do not need 100% social housing on this site. Minister Eoghan Murphy does not speak for me or other residents in Inchicore who do not want to see the area further run into the ground by this proposal. Is there any other Local Residents groups who are prepared to fight this proposal? We need a to ensure the plan stick to what was originally agreed....proper social mix of affordable, social AND private housing...not this social time bomb.
https://www-thejournal-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/www.thejournal.ie/st-michaels-estate-inchicore-dublin-4139075-Jul2018/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https://www.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fst-michaels-estate-inchicore-dublin-4139075-Jul2018%2F

Sean23/07/2018I have to say I agree with you. There is a fantastic opportunity to get this right that will benefit the Inchicore area. If they go ahead with this plan I think it will do the opposite. I think people need to let their representatives know they are against this plan.
C23/07/2018assuming that the proposed housing will be aimed towards families, will the local schools have enough space for all of the potential children? If each of the 500 households has two kids on average that's 1000 children! There are four primaries but there's only one secondary school in the area and it's girls only.
Ps23/07/2018I urge everyone with any interest in the area to contact the local representatives to voice your concerns on this. Remember if no one speaks out on this Mr Murphy will have essentially a free run to drive us back further into isolation. Speak now or...
Tom23/07/2018Hi All, Living in Inchicore a few years now and Ican see the portential for the area. Close to the city great public transport hubs and some nice parks close by. However it does lack things like a decent supermarket, more Restaurants etc. I have to admit at not being up to date with the proposal that has been announced today. What does it mean? And as a resident in the area why should I be worried about this?

Thanks

Tom
C@inchicore23/07/2018Please email your staunch opposition to this proposal to Eoghan Murphy, Minister for Housing minister@housing.gov.ie and copy Leo Varadkar leo.varadkar@oir.ie

We are waiting too long for investment in Inchicore. This proposal is not right for the area. Do not stand for it folks. Inchicore residents deserve better.
C@inchicore23/07/2018Also suggest Residents email Dublin South Central TD''s to voice opposition.
Catherine Byrne catherine.byrne@oireachtas.ie
Joan Collins. Joan.collin@oireachtas.ie
Angus O'Snodaigh. Angus.osnodaigh@oireachtas.ie
and
Brid Smith. brid.smith@oireachtas.ie
C@inchicore23/07/2018Sorry last email address for SF TD incorrect.
Should have read as aengus.osnodaigh@oireachtas.ie
Tom AD23/07/2018I agree 100% with the comments above. This plan is a disaster for the area and basically equates to rebuilding St Michael’s Estate. We cannot and must not stand ideally by and watch as our area is destroyed. We must do everything we possibly can to stop this. Inchicore has great potential but if these plans go ahead it will be the final nail in the coffin.
Tom AD23/07/2018I agree 100% with the comments above. This plan is a disaster for the area and basically equates to rebuilding St Michael’s Estate. We cannot and must not stand ideally by and watch as our area is destroyed. We must do everything we possibly can to stop this. Inchicore has great potential but if these plans go ahead it will be the final nail in the coffin.
Tom AD 24/07/2018These plans will be voted on by Dublin City Councillors so it's important to not only voice your objections to local representatives but all Dublin City Councillors. You can find a full list with contact details herehttps://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

It also important to lobby FF SF Labour Greens PBP and Social Democrates spokes people on housing on why this is a bad plan not only for current residents of Inchicore but also for potential future residents of Eoghan Murphy Project.

A united effort by Inchicore residents business schools etc is needed to object to these plans and demand a better option for our area.
Grace25/07/2018Will there be any meetings organised to discuss these plans
Grace25/07/2018Will there be any meetings organised to discuss these plans
Tom AD25/07/2018When the plans were announced on Monday they said there would be public meetings, so hopefully.
bob26/07/2018This development is a huge concern and really looks like a quick fix attempt to Eoghan Murphy. DCC are due to vote on this in a coming council meeting and if they approve it, its happening. IF you are not in favour add you name to this petition and hopefully it can build enough names to make DCC vote it down in September: https://my.uplift.ie/p/inchicore
PS27/07/2018Hi bob,
Great idea for a petition.
Looks like it has been shut down, I get the following message when I click on the link:

'This Petition has been disabled because of inappropriate content

If you created this petition, you can sign into the site to access your dashboard, learn more, and fix this issue,.
Elaine27/07/2018All - Agreed with all the points made here. I've attached a link to another petition which was sent to me.
https://www.change.org/p/dublin-city-council-support-the-proposal-made-by-st-pats-which-includes-proper-facilities-for-inchicore
Kenneth30/07/2018Sure why not build more social housing, it will create more jobs, Eurospar and Tesco will need at least 20 more security staff, the kilmainhan garda station will need 100 more gardai, the local pubs will need extra staff. I won’t say any names but someone begging for a house in the irish mirror, sat with her family in a local park and left all there rubbish behind on the ground when there was plenty of bins. I know that’s only a small thing but she comes from a very dangerous family, they have no respect for anything in life. The people that will get the social housing in St Michaels will all be related, it will be a no go zone, so if you use the Drimnagh Luas Stop you won’t anymore and they will spread to blackhorse and goldenbridge so that’s 3 Luas stops out of order for working people.
Sean30/07/2018I’m a 48 year old man 6 feet 2 heavy build, yet the current sewer scum we have in the area still stare me out and try to intimidate me when I go to buy milk and bread for my family. God only knows how a young man or lady might feel.
PS31/07/2018Another person to contact in relation to this:
Catherine Ardagh
catherine@ardagh.org
PS01/08/2018Found the following proposals on the Dublin City Council website:

‘St. Michael's Estate Land Initiative / Regeneration Project’:
http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/HousingAndCommunity/PolicyDocuments/Emmet%20Rd%20-%20Saint%20Michaels%20Estate%20D8.pdf

‘Proposed Plans for the Redevelopment of Lands at Emmet Road, Dublin 8:
http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/HousingAndCommunity/PolicyDocuments/St%20Michaels%20Estate%20Brochure.pdf

Note that ‘St. Michael's Estate Land Initiative / Regeneration Project’ includes the following in its proposal:

• Delivery of potential 420 new homes
• A housing mix of 50% private, 30% public and 20% affordable rent
• 55 homes for older persons (located between Thornton Heights and Richmond Barracks)

The ‘Proposed Plans for the Redevelopment of Lands at Emmet Road, Dublin 8’ is the one that the Housing Minister is seeking:

• No mention of homes for older persons, instead it refers 55 housing units with support of HSE and approved housing bodies.
• 330 Cost Rental homes
• 90 Social Housing units

The ‘St. Michael's Estate Land Initiative / Regeneration Project’ proposal looks to be a more clearly defined proposal, the other has quite ambiguous terminology.

I think it is worth being a little cautious about being over reliant on just supporting the Saint Pat’s proposal as from some newspaper reports Saint Pats appear to be more than willing to go along with whatever housing mix the Government is looking for once they get their stadium.

Jpmg04/08/2018I’m on the same page as all of you re. this. Inchicore is already underdeveloped with legacy social problems from St Michaels 1. This is in fact has the potential to be worse for the area than the previous iteration and as a community we really need to take a stand to stop this before soil is turned
Pat08/08/2018How they can fit nearly 500 homes in st Michaels estate is a mystery to me. That’s 2000 people. A lot of them will have drug and alcohol problems, never mind the refugees and travellers that will live there and the problems that they will bring. We already have teenage gangs roaming the streets, we know who they are but that doesn’t seem to matter.
PS09/08/2018Worrying article on the Irish Times, which does not refer to Inchicore but does reveal Government policy on not having a mix of private and social housing on the sites it will develop:

“While the previous PPP housing schemes included private homes, only social housing will be built on the six sites, with tenants allocated by the relevant local authority.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/contract-for-more-than-500-social-homes-to-be-awarded-1.3589740

I have written to a number of politicians on this already but haven’t heard a word back.
Sean10/08/2018It’ll be great for paddy power, croughs, the chipper, the queues will be out the door for the post office when they collect their “wages”. The Inchicore medical Centre will get great business as they’ll all have medical cards, so don’t get sick you’ll be waiting 2 weeks for an appointment. How they can put an extra 500 social homes in area that already has serious problems will the people that live in social housing is just shocking. None of the Dublin city councilors voting on this live in Inchicore. Put 500 social homes where they live and ask them if they would support it.
Sean10/08/2018It’ll be great for paddy power, croughs, the chipper, the queues will be out the door for the post office when they collect their “wages”. The Inchicore medical Centre will get great business as they’ll all have medical cards, so don’t get sick you’ll be waiting 2 weeks for an appointment. How they can put an extra 500 social homes in area that already has serious problems will the people that live in social housing is just shocking. None of the Dublin city councilors voting on this live in Inchicore. Put 500 social homes where they live and ask them if they would support it.
John10/08/2018It’ll be great all modern homes, that will be destroyed by junkies. They should never have knocked down the tower blocks. A total no go zone, the gardai wont go there them. A breeding ground for gangland.
Jaxon16/08/2018It looks good for Sinn Fein and People before Profit to fill Inchicore full of social housing with no amenities. This will be gangland, I bet Daniel Kinahan is already planning how to work this. None of the people who are voting on this live in Inchicore. If you own a property in Inchicore take 50% of that now.
Jaxon16/08/2018Thornton Heights is a disaster, well it’s good if you want heroin. Lynda Foley can vouch for that. She had to move as it’s to rough.
kEgan16/08/2018Ironically I emailed all the local politicians re their proposal for Social Housing , explaining all the anti social behaviour, etc, and not one answer.
Inchicore between travellers and junkies already has enough problems but unless ordinary decent working home owners/residents speak up now it will become a bigger ghetto full of social housing!
Terry16/08/2018I understand that there will be no public consultation on the plan proposed by Eoghan Murphy.
However, I hear that Catherine Byrne is going to hold a public meeting to allow local people to air their views. It will be in Richmond Barracks at 19:30 on 29th August.
Johnny 18/08/2018Hey hey were the Junkies. O Inchicore is full of Smack, O Inchicore is full of Smack. I welcome of our 500 new homes, it’s great if you want to buy Smack. The Garda will be to afraid to go in there so buying Smack won’t be a problem. I have studied for college Cherry Orchard and Darndale, my masters degree my PHD, will be the rebirth of St Michaels Estate. This is a disaster waiting to happen. From my past studies this will be gangland. Cherry Orchard is a total disaster, but gangland like moving closer to the city, easier to sell drugs, intimidate people.
Megan18/08/2018Catherine Byrne, is worth a fortune, she can retire to the Canaries or probably Florida with her pension. The rest of us ain’t so lucky, we’ll just have to deal with travellers, junkies, drug dealers as we try to go about our daily life’s. Catherine Byrne knows people are afraid to go to the local spar to get there bread and milk yet she has done nothing to stop this. Every time I go to spar, I pray gangs won’t be hanging around outside blocking me and physically pushing me. I know all of there names, have told the gardai but they do nothing. I am white Irish but have heard what they say to non white people and non Irish white people. It’s shocking in 2018 how this behavior is allowed. Catherine Byrne knows all about this but has done nothing.
Alan c19/08/2018That’s a bit unfair Megan, I’m not sure how much of a fortune she has but she still chose to live in Inchicore all her life and is the only TD that has stood up for the community against the current government proposal.
Her grip with her colleague is that the proposal is for rental only, resulting in a transient community that has not ties or roots in the area, I’m pretty sure she will be able to get a decent proportion (50% I hope) of the new homes designated as affordable housing for people to buy so that the are tied into the community and have roots here.
A transient community is not suitable and will undoubtedly result in anti-social problems getting worse.
I think she deserves some support on this issue, it would be a lot more constructive to work with her on this.
Alan c19/08/2018I’m posting the reply Catherine Byrne sent me when I emailed her about this.
“I have stated my opposition to this plan on the basis that I believe the size and scale of this project represents over-development of the site. The plan as outlined proposes 30% social housing units, 60% cost rental units, and ‘possibly’ 10% affordable units for purchase. Outline images of what the site might look like on completion were made public for the first time at the launch but I am advised that these are only impressions of what the site could look like. The development has yet to be designed and will require approval from an Bord Pleanala.

Inchicore has suffered from a lack of investment over the years. Crime and antisocial behaviour are serious issues facing our community at present and must be addressed before a huge new housing development gets underway. Bricks and mortar are only one part of the solution. I believe that the proposal on the table for the former St Michael’s Estate site is simply the wrong one if it doesn’t include an option for long term, permanent housing, alongside amenities and services which would benefit the community as a whole.

I intend to hold a public meeting so that the wider community can have their voice heard in this process. I hope to have this meeting in August and I will be in contact when I have confirmed a date.”
kEgan20/08/2018Alan I got same reply from Catherine Byrne, would think a lot of copy and paste! There is no Affordable Scheme for house purchase unless its organised by Housing Agents like Circles etc, DCC will not reintroduce this scheme as badly burned financially due to their vetting process ??
Megan I would agree with you with regard to Ms. Byrne knowing about antisocial in Inchicore. Myself and residents set up a meeting with her about 8/10 years ago and quite frankly she did nothing Indeed she is very vocal on drug injection centres, and not on the safety of her constituents in Inchicore.
Wendy22/08/2018Can someone please tell me what the st Michael's youth project & the Garda Youth Diversion Project both based in Inchicore are doing in regards to the gang of kids terrorising our community?
Megan22/08/2018Anyone know more about the incident in which an 8 year old boy stabbed a man 3 times? Where it happened? The story is on the irish independent website now.
PS25/08/2018Catherine Byrne has sent me a reply confirming that there will be a meeting this coming Wednesday at 7:30pm in Richmond Barracks to hear the views of residents.
PS30/08/2018Update from Catherine Byrne is that although a vote was expected by Dublin City Council this coming Monday it now looks to be the case that the proposal will move forward simply by the City Manager noting it.

Residents are being requested to to contact all the Councillor's and express their concern regarding the proposed plan and encourage them to ask the city manager to defer his decision regarding the proposal to a later date to allow for a proper consultation process take place in the community.

The contact details of the South Central Area Committee are as follows:
https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=140
Jim04/09/2018Interesting article on the Irish times today

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/junior-minister-seeks-support-to-block-redevelopment-of-inchicore-flats-complex-1.3617334
Johnboy14/09/2018I see the people in Raheny got the decision to build 500 new homes overturned after planning permission had already been approved by the DCC. It was the local residents that got the decision overturned. Why should we have to put up with more filth in Inchicore? We can’t even cope with the Tyrone place flats,yet they want to put more social housing here.
JB30/09/2018In case anyone missed leaflet, there is a meeting to discuss the proposed development of former St. Michael's Est site arranged by Catherine Byrne. Meating to be held on Monday 1st October @7.30pm in Inchicore College of Further Education, Luby Road.
I am not a Fine Gael fan myself but it is so important that Inchicore residents come together to discuss this urgent topic for the s sake of our community's future.
Michel01/10/2018As we all know the history of this site, two developments that have resulted in a slum & then a soical housing ghetto. The cost rental model figures don’t add up. It going to cost €300k+ to construct each unit. When they are developed/built we are going to find that the numbers don’t stack up, so DCC will just flip the units back to social housing. Large scale social housing estates are not successful and aren’t sustainable. There needs to be a significant amount of owner occupier/private housing to balance it out. What guarantees will DCC give the community/existing residents? A large scale low income social housing estate will not attract inward investment, nor sustain local shops & businesses. Promises to develop local services commitments are a sop. An appropriate tenure mix of is the key on such a sensitive site as this The left wingers (driving their own agenda at the expense of the area) will say all social. In 5 years the place will be a disaster leaving another ghetto legacy. Catherine Byrne T.D (and the other T.D’s & Cllrs) please ensure that as much private housing goes in to strike the right balance.
R.J N08/10/2018The lack of information on the Project is regrettable. Just read D.C.C. report to the Housing & Community SPC This makes believe that any consultation now is a D.C.C. paper exercise. Inchicore has been forgotten about over the last few years. To add over 400 housing units with out adequate investment in Schools, Health and other vital Services will be disastrous
Grace13/10/2018The Kilmainham Inchicore Network is engaged in the task of overseeing the establishment of the Inchicore Regeneration Consultative Forum with the authority of Dublin City Council.

The Consultative Forum working in consultation with Dublin City Council is supporting the development of a high quality, vibrant, mixed use urban quarter on DCC Emmet Road site, Inchicore (formerly the St. Michaels Estate site) and facilitating consultation with the local community in a meaningful way. It is proposed that there will be high quality community and retail facilities developed, accompanying residential units (30% social and 70% cost rental homes on this site).

Terms of Reference for the Consultative Forum

- To provide a Forum for the mutual exchange of information between all stakeholders associated with the Inchicore Regeneration.

-To define and agree communication processes with Dublin City Council, contractors and other relevant stakeholders in respect of the development.

- To provide a platform for local stakeholders where concerns can be discussed and resolved through all phases of the development.

- To consult, co-operate and liaise with all interested parties including the local community and any relevant statutory bodies.

- To establish a Community Benefit Clause that ensures jobs and apprenticeships are created in the local community.

- Meetings to take place every two months.

Structure of Consultative Forum

The Forum will be coordinated by the independent Chairperson from the Kilmainham Inchicore Network and a Forum Director. In addition to this there will be:

- 2 representatives from the Kilmainham Inchicore Network.

- 3 Local Elected Councillors.

- Officials from DCC.

- Representatives from local resident’s associations*.

- Representatives from other local stakeholders* such as schools and An Garda Síochána.

- The Forum will have a core membership of not less than 12 members and not greater than 20 members.

*As places on the Consultative Forum are limited, representatives of organisations most directly affected

will be given priority.

TO DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION FORM and for further information click:Application Form

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 23rd OCTOBER 2018 at 4pm