Old Kilmainham Mill

AuthorMessage DateMessage
Jenni18/05/2009Hi,
I'm doing some research on the Mill in Kilmainham. I'm researching its social history and its planning history, with a view to doing a Conservation Study on the building. Surprisingly there seems to be little information on the Mill in publication. If anybody can recommend a source of contact or a publication that I've missed, I'd be delighted.
Perhaps people have some stories of their own!

(I'm a student, studying Architecture.)

Michael O'Flanagan18/05/2009Hi! Jenni...... Dublin City Council commissioned a very extensive and expensive Conservation Plan in 2002 by Demot Nolan in association with Alister Coey Architects. The 32 page report and Plan recommends that "An educational facility, which would tell the story of milling (grain and fulling) on the site and explain the historic processes and technical developments would be an appropriate use. This report can viewed in Dublin City Council Offices in 639 Sth. Circular Road. The site of the Mill presently has planning permission for 48 apartments.(endorsed by Bord pleanala)
Paul Cullen19/05/2009Jenni,
I think that report might even be available online on the council's website, or maybe it's no longer there. I remember once seeing pictures of the interior at a time when the owner was planning to open a restaurant inside, but obviously the plans changed and as Michael said there's now pp for apartments (though the current recession might save the building from such a fate).
Jenni20/05/2009Thanks Michael, thanks Paul
I spent yesterday in City Council where I was allowed to read the conservation report. It was a very interesting read. It also included some old photographs of the Mill, my favourite was the gates with 'cloth finishers' in period lettering. I haven't had any success with finding these type of images myself yet! Anyone who is interested in reading it should contact the conservation section DCC. I also went to the Library and got reference of all the newspaper articles relating to the Mill during its planning for the apartments. DCC also provided me with a copy of the planning application for the 48 apts. So a successful day yesterday. Many thanks for your suggestions and replies. If anyone would like an email of the newspaper clippings etc please let me know. Thanks, Jenni
Pat Donnelly03/08/2013Hi Jenni,
I've only just seen your post. I would love to see those newspaper cuttings- 4 years later! I think an ancestor of mine worked that mill. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Pat